Monday, January 2, 2012

Cooper Eats "Solids" for the 1st Time!

Peeling the sweet potatoes!
Cooper had been displaying signs of "readiness" for some time, and after double-checking with his pediatrician we started solids today. I was a little hesitant at first due to Cooper's young age (they usually recommend starting around 6 months of age and with the child showing signs of ability to take that step), but was reminded by the doctor that Cooper technically has been on rice cereal, a solid, since 2 months of age due to his reflux and allergy issues. He also sits with assistance, reaches for our food, utensils, and drink, and lately seems unsatisfied after a bottle even after an increase in amount per feeding.



Getting ready to steam.
I knew I wanted to make his baby food here at home because I have the time to devote to it, we wanted to save the money instead of purchasing jarred food, I wanted it to be organic, and due to Cooper's allergies he isn't able to eat many of the jarred. I started doing my research, and even Santa got in on the act by bringing me a baby food cook book and freezer storage containers.
...here we go!

Cooper's very first bite!

"Hmmm... not sure what I think, Mommy"

"I like it!" A smile for Daddy (not photographed) and reaching for more!

Open wide!

"I could get down with this sweet potato thing"
After researching that the mildest, sweeter vegetables are best to start with, such as parsnip, sweet potato, and carrots, and eventually add avocado, pears and apples as "first foods", I decided it would be sweet potato because it is the healthiest of all vegetables, filled with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
"More, please!"

"Mmmm"

"Nom nom"

Practicing using the spoon.

"I could get used to this!"
Everything I've read stressed how traumatic and upsetting this experience would be for Cooper, and that it would take several dozen times for him to adapt to the change. Well, he seemed pretty at peace with it to us! We gave him a bite, and he reached for more. We got through half the bowl before he was finished. Now, this truly was more of a practice with the spoon. He swirled a lot of it around and couldn't quite get the hang of moving the food to the back of his mouth. However, he did swallow about seven times! He never once cried or tried to squirm away.

Just a few notes: I fully intend to keep breastfeeding, in fact, following instructions in the cookbook, I add breastmilk to the food to make it softer and liquid-y... easier to mush around in a tiny mouth. Also, I am not a huge fan of the bib he has on, but I am a fan of the oh-so-wipeable material it's made from. Finally, I HATE MY KITCHEN WALL COLOR!! Please know it's from the people before us and contains vaulted ceilings and a two-story wall which is a huge undertaking to repaint by ourselves... a project we hope to take on eventually. This particular shade does not reflect my taste in any way.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! And very helpful too. We're trying to wait until Christian is 6 months to introduce solids, but he's looking verrrry interested, so we'll see. Also, major kudos to you for continuing to breastfeed despite your little guy's reflux, etc. and how you've altered your diet so that Cooper can keep on enjoying the best thing we can give our babies! -Amber

    ReplyDelete